The Runtime settings can be configured using the dropdown gear menu in the top toolbar.
Manage Users menu gives access to ntopng users administration. Ntopng is a multi-user system that handles multiple simultaneous active sessions. Ntopng users can have the role of Administrators or standard users.
Password and other preferences can be set during user creation and changed later on by clicking on the Manage button. User preferences include:
- The user role (Administrator or Not Privileged)
- Allowed interface
- Allowed networks in traffic visualization
- Permission to download live traffic and PCAPs (honoring the interface and networks restrictions)
Preferences menu entry enables the user to change runtime configurations. There are two types of settings (changeable by clicking the view at the end of the preferences menu) : Expert View and Simple View. The Expert View has all the configurable preferences, instead the Simple View only has the basic preferences.
A thorough help is reported below every preference directly into ntopng web GUI.
Data retention is configurable from the preferences.
Data retention is expressed in days and it affects:
- Top Talkers stored in sqlite
- Historical flows
When using RRDs for timeseries, changing the data retention only affects new RRDs created after the change.
Through the manage data page it is possible to export or delete the interface data.
It is possible to choose between the following options:
- Export all the hosts data
- Export all the local hosts data
- Export all the remote hosts data
- Export a specific host data, by specifying its IP or MAC address and optionally a VLAN
The JSON data can be downloaded and easily analyzed.
The Delete tab is similar to the export tab. It provides a convenient way to delete all the data associated to a particular host or group of hosts (via a /24 network CIDR). It is also possible to delete all the data associated to the active interface.
The Manage Data page is accessible when a non system interface is selected. On the system interface, the delete data functionality can be directly accessed via the Settings menu. In this case, it is possible to:
- Delete the system interface data
- Delete the inactive interfaces data. This can be very useful to free some disk space for old interfaces.